The Pride of Florida
Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Statuary Project
Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune
Mary McLeod Bethune was born on a farm near Mayesville, South Carolina, in 1875, the fifteenth child of former slaves. She rose from those humble beginnings to become a world-renowned educator, civil rights and human rights leader, champion for women and young people, and advisor to five U.S. presidents.
The Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune Statuary Project is a proud moment for the entire state of Florida and our nation.Learn more about Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune The Pride of Florida
Elements of The Statue
Master sculptor, Nilda Comas, secured the largest (and last) piece of statuary marble from the Italian Alps and the quarries above Pietrasanta, Italy. The block of statuario marble was carved from Michelangelo’s cave and weighed 11,500 tons. According to the artist, statuario marble is the finest marble in the world.
At the base of the pedestal, along with the prominent, capitalized letters of her home state, her name, and the dates of her birth and death, there will be an inscription memorializing one of Dr. Bethune’s most famous quotes – “Invest in the human soul. Who knows, it may be a diamond in the rough.”
- Sculpture: 8'4" x 3'5" x 4'
- Base: 2'7½" x 3' x 3'
- Total: 11'
- Weight: 6,129lb
Daytona Beach Bronze Statue
- Thursday, August 18, 2022, 9:00 a.m.
- Riverfront Esplanade Park.
- Watch The Art of the Possible: The Life and Legacy of Mary McLeod Bethune
- The Life and Legacy of Mary McLeod Bethune Course Outline by Dr. Nancy Long
- The Life and Legacy of Mary McLeod Bethune Curriculum Teachers Guide by Dr. Nancy Long
- The Black Velvet Rose K-12 PPT by Dr. Nancy Long
- The Black Velvet Rose K-12 PPT Narrative by Dr. Nancy Long